Can someone please explain to me how this has even become an issue? One that is deemed ‘newsworthy’?
So, for those of you who aren’t up on the latest Internet drama, it appears that a Kindergarten teacher had sent home a letter asking that if the students were going to pass out Valentine’s Day cards, then to please make sure to have enough for the entire class.
This letter went viral.
And a debate was born.
Yeah, I’m serious.
Apparently, there are, indeed, parents who feel their children shouldn’t have to give out Valentine’s cards to all their classmates. Elementary school kids. Should intentionally leave out their peers.
Per their parents approval.
Listen, I’m not here to be judgey. Well, maybe, in this instance…I’m lying. Yeah, I’m judging, a little.
Is it really such a painful thing to have a child sign their name on the cards and pass them out to their classmates?
Quite frankly, I hadn’t even realized that there was this option of not including particular people.
I’m fully aware of the fact that it happens after elementary school. Like those times when all the kids around you are getting carnations sent by friends and secret crushes and it feels like you are the only one in the entire school that wasn’t a recipient of those hideous flowers.
But, this isn’t middle or high school. Where kids are intentionally assholes.
This is elementary school.
When the parents are more in control of the situation.
When the parents are the ones buying those cards for their child.
When the parents are sometimes the ones signing their child’s name and sealing the card with the little heart sticker included in the box.
So, let’s put the ‘blame’ where the blame belongs, mmmkay?
Because, it’s my opinion that by excluding certain kids in the class…it’s a form of bullying.
Yeah. Just no.
By excluding kids that your child doesn’t like at the moment…for something as simple as an innocuous Valentine’s card…
it’s hurting the non-recipient.
I’m sure that there are a lot of kids that don’t count their cards when they go home.
But then, there are some that do.
Like my kid.
He’ll obsess if the number of cards don’t match up to the number of students, minus the kids who were out sick that day.
And his feelings get hurt.
Because, he wouldn’t understand why, if he gave everyone a card, he didn’t get the same amount back in return.
I remember when I was younger and in elementary school.
We had to give EVERYONE a card.
Even if we didn’t like that person.
I saved my favorite cards for my favorite friends.
I gave the cards I liked least to the people I liked least.
But…I gave a card to everyone. And those people that I didn’t like had no idea that the card I gave them was one I wasn’t a fan of.
No harm done.
And, I’ve always had my kids pass out cards to everyone.
Even the kids they didn’t like.
Even when they complained.
Yeah, they complained.
But, the rules of the schools my kids attended were…cards for everyone.
Which is how it should be.
Or just don’t pass out cards.
Or give your friends their cards after school and off school grounds.
So no one is hurt.
Kids have so many years of disappointment and heartache ahead of them.
Not to mention…life lessons.
Why do we have to use Valentine’s Day on the elementary school level to teach them?
Isn’t Valentine’s Day a pretty and sweet ‘holiday’?
There should only be two choices when it comes to passing out cards for the class…
Save another days to teach your precious life lessons.
Like, say, your child’s birthday party. When you invite 98% of the class and the other 2% are fully aware that they weren’t invited.
But, that happens off school property so that’s your business.
Let’s not do it on something as sweet as Valentine’s Day.
Don’t ruin it, okay.
Stop making this a ‘thing’.
Let do everything in our parental powers to keep ALL our children happy for as long as we can.
Laura June says
We get that letter every year and I am more offended that they HAVE to send it out. There is no way any of my kids would be allowed to leave a classmate out of whatever they are bringing in to share. I don’t care how much of a dick that kid may be, you’re giving a valentine to everyone.
Laura June´s last blog post ..Knocked Up – 37 Weeks